Pages

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Unpopular bookish questions

Jag snubblade över den här listan för ett par dagar sedan och kände ett starkt behov att själv fylla i den. Böcker plus lista är ju typ perfekt! Inlägget blir på engelska eftersom frågorna också är det.

1. A popular book or series that you didn't like



Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instrument series. I've read the first three books, and was highly disappointed. I couldn't connect to any of the characters, the story tried and failed to surprise you with plot twists all the time, and it just didn't seem believable, that is to say, the suspension of disbelief failed spectacularly. I think an anon on tumblr said it best: "(...) the whole way through reading it just felt like i'd literally read it all before. The books were like an amalgamation of other slightly better things in a patch-work of less than fulfilling quick-laugh humor and mediocrity. i read it and enjoyed it for what it was, but the way people go on about it, its like watching a supermarket frozen pizza be described as a five-course meal."

2. A popular book or series that everyone else seems to hate but you love

I honestly can't think of one. I'm sorry! I'll update this blog post if I ever think of one.

3. A Love Triangle where the main character ended up with the person you did NOT want them to end up with (warn people for spoilers) OR an OTP that you don’t like.

Spoilers for the Throne of Glass series ahead! Read at your own risk!
I've been rooting for Chaolaena from the very beginning. That she ended up with Rowan in Queen of Shadows was a disappointment, but I'm still okay with it. It fit the story to some extent, ergo it's okay.
I was also disappointed that Tessa ended up with Will in The Infernal Devices. JEM WAS THE WAY TO GO!

4. A popular genre that you hardly reach for

Thrillers.

5. A popular or beloved character that you do not like

America Singer from Kiera Cass' The Selection-books. She was irritating, wannabe-quirky, and so undecisive I lost my temper. Get your shit together, America!
(Full disclosure: I still enjoy the books! I think they're incredibly stupid, but yes, very enjoyable!)

6. A popular author that you can't seem to get into

John Green. I've read several of his books, but none of them hit home. Except maybe The Fault in our Stars, which I did like. The rest are mediocre at best, although I have to admit I enjoyed Will Grayson, Will Grayson.

7. A popular book trope that you’re tired of seeing. (examples “lost princess”, corrupt ruler, love triangles, etc)

I detest love triangles! I've seen them way too often, and they seldom work. Come up with something new!

8. A popular series that you have no interest in reading

The rest of The Mortal Instruments-series. Aside from not liking the first three books I don't want to support the author either, the reason being explained very well here and here. Or just google Cassandra Clare plus plagiarism or bullying and you'll find other sources.

9. The saying goes “The book is always better than the movie”, but what movie or T.V. show adaptation do you prefer more than the book?


My negative opinion of the rest of the books in the series might affect my opinion here, but I honestly think the movie managed to be better than the book. I saw it before I'd read any of the books and still need to rewatch it after having read the whole series, but in my opinion the movie writers managed to make the story more coherent than the book did. Yes, even though they changed a lot of plot points - or maybe perhaps exactly because of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment